Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Early morning inspiration

 

Psalm 119:147

I rise before dawn and cry out for help. I have put my hope in your word.

 

3:58 a.m. – WIDE AWAKE! My mind going crazy about many things. Fear, worry, unanswered questions, just to name a few. A montage of “what ifs” or “should I haves” traipsing through my mind. Traipsing like a stampede of wild horses, causing me to flee from my bed and into the comfort of God’s word.

My bible barely fits on my lap because my sweet little bible study buddy “AKA Buzzy” needs to sit right on my lap, my bible resting on his furry back. I’m taken by the irony of it all. I needed the embrace of God’s word this morning. Buzzy is literally covered in the word. He refuses to budge from underneath the weight of the book; the spine pressing into his back side – he’s comfortably resting there.

Is this sweet little scenario I’m balancing upon my lap your way of comforting me this morning, Lord? Are you saying, Come, I will cover you with my feathers and under my wings you will find refuge? (Ps. 91:4) There is peace and rest, in your embrace, Father.

I look up from my study and see pictures in the room of days gone by – sweet memories of happy moments in time. Cherished, treasured, and not only kept in frames, but also etched in my mind forever. Visual reminders of blessing in my life. And yet, this “faithfulness on display,” isn’t enough to settle the pounding herd of wild thoughts stampeding through my weary soul.

My eyes fall back to His word and my fingers frantically search the thin worn pages for a glimmer of hope. What word can you give me God? I’m searching – Speak!

I divinely land on Psalm 112. Blessed are those who fear the Lord, who find great delight in his commands. Their children will be mighty in the land, the generation of the upright will be blessed.

Wow, what assurance God. I do find delight in your commands. I am thankful for the promise of blessing on my children.

Then, verse 7 leaps off the page at me– They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord.

And there it is – that cover – the blanket of love that I pull tightly up around my neck and sink deep into its warmth. I have no reason to succumb to those fears that traipse
through my mind in the wee hours.

In you, God, my heart is steadfast – I trust in you.

Thanks for the reminder…you never fail. I delight in your commands. Your words cover me.

No comments:

Post a Comment