Search This Blog

Saturday, September 1, 2018

Seasons


    I recently saw this tree on Pinterest and decided to draw it myself.  It’s not as great as the original I saw, as I’m no artist, but it really resonated with me.  It reminded me of my life currently – changing seasons. 
    I’ve experienced lots of changes this summer.  Some of them sudden, some of them expected, some of them gradually turning before my eyes.  Some were anticipated, some unwanted, some surprising.  Seasons.
    I lost a good friend.  I became a published author.  My oldest son moved far away.  My youngest son couldn’t make it home as I had hoped. My husband’s business experienced several twists and turns. I tore my meniscus. I launched my first novel. My daughter is driving and dating.  By the way having a 16-year-old daughter is a whole season in itself! Lots of changes.  Many seasons to transition to. Seasons.
    A season is typically an extended period.  However, I liken the changes in my life this summer to early spring in the Midwest, where crocuses rise up through the earth only to shiver in the draft of a final snow fall. Hot and cold, damp and dry, dark and light.  Grief, joy, elation, worry, shock. Seasons.
    In this picture the seasons surround the tree.  The branches support new life, the abundance of summer, the demise of fall, and for a season, they are bare – stretched forth in expectancy of the cycle to happen again. Seasons.
    No matter what is going on around the tree one thing is the same. The tree.  The tree never changes.  It stretches up to the sky, bends with the winds that blow against it and accepts the circumstances that surround it with grace and dignity.  The roots stay firmly planted supporting the tree and sustaining it year-round – no matter what. 
    The Hebrews 13:8 verse accompanying the tree sums up the picture nicely.  Like the tree – Jesus Christ remains the same – yesterday, today and forever.  Together, he and I are the tree. He keeps me standing upright.  He is solid, never changing, never wavering, supports me, lifts me up and sustains me through all of life’s changes.  He is sturdy and dependable.  In my weaknesses – he is strong. He is my refuge, shelter and protector. 

But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD,
whose confidence is in Him.
He will be like a tree planted by the waters
that sends out its roots toward the stream.
It does not fear when the heat comes,
and its leaves are always green.
It will not worry in a year of drought
or cease producing fruit.
                                                                 Jeremiah 17: 7-8
Help me Jesus, to trust in you. Together we will endure the seasons of change and reap an abundant harvest!


No comments:

Post a Comment