Search This Blog

Saturday, December 31, 2016

2017 Resolution - The year of Gratitude



“What if you only had the things today that you thanked God for yesterday?”

I’ve seen this quote several times lately.  Hmmm, I wonder why?  Maybe it keeps popping up because God is trying to get my attention?  Whether this is mere coincidence or a divine wink from God, it has worked.  This little phrase has really impacted me lately, especially over the holiday season. 

So, what if?  What if I only had the things I thanked God for yesterday? Well, sadly, I’d be sitting in my good parking spot at Wally World drinking a Coke Zero, that’s what!  But, that would be it!  Okay, I’m exaggerating a bit – I know that’s highly uncharacteristic for me – but I did thank God for more than a good parking spot and a Coke Zero yesterday.  However, I’m ashamed to say, not for much. And unfortunately it was as I was drifting off to sleep…and I found myself just ticking off the list of all the things I want to have tomorrow, you know…just in case?  And…wait…did I even finish thanking him before my date with Mr. Sandman? 

I do, however, clearly remember grumbling a lot this week.  I lost $15.00 out of my pocket, the dryer quit working, the garage door quit working, and we still haven’t replaced the broken microwave yet, causing me to do Neanderthal things like heating leftovers in a pan on the stove!! 

Those things I remember well.  But did I remember to thank Him for lunch with my cousin and family, the joy of caring for two amazing toddlers in my home, having all three of my kids around my table, the birth of great-nephew?  Did I? Did I, huh?

This holiday season I’ve known of 3 different families who spent the days designated to “Comfort and Joy” in “Grief and Suffering”.  They all lost loved ones over the holiday season forever filling this season with a sense of remembrance.  I’ve spent much time petitioning God on their behalf, for sure. But, did I thank Him for our health, for our safety, for His provision over us?

Today is New Year’s Eve, prompting me to think of my New Year resolution?  Yes, all the regulars apply – more exercise, better diet, yadda, yadda, yadda – but this year I resolve to be thankful!  Not just for those things that I hope to have tomorrow (you know, just in case that actually is how the Big Man works), but for the big and little things that I take for granted every day.  Actions of others, kind words spoken, groceries in my pantry, and the list goes on and on. 

Several years ago I kept a gratitude journal.  Why I stopped this I don’t know, but in 2017 I resolve to keep the gratitude journal again – physically writing down each day what I am grateful for.  In 2017 I will be intentional in my gratitude to the Big Guy – who gives so abundantly whether we are thankful or not
                                                Whether we deserve it or not
                                                                        Whether we need it or not

In 2017 I shall be thankful!






No comments:

Post a Comment